Monday, March 9, 2015

"Do to others...

...as you would have them do to you."
-Luke 6:31

I've been hearing this from my mom, dad, teachers and all other grown-up-like authority, all my life. I question if they know that this "saying" is straight from the bible; I know that I didn't know!
I was thinking the other night of what I would say to Makenna when she came home from school for the first time and tells me she was picked on at school. This thought stemmed from a report on the news about two,6 year old girls getting into a fist fight because one girl picked on the others girl outfit. OY!!! It really got me thinking...
That saying, verse, whatever you'd like to call it, is so overused but screams so much truth. We all want to be treated with respect and our feelings get hurt when we are not..right?? So then why is it so hard to give it? When someone is negative with us, we as humans automatically put our guard up, get defensive and defend. We get mean in return with no care in the world of how our retaliation might affect that person.
Yes I know, it sucks when we get talked about behind our backs or a comment is made about us under someone's breath. I've been through that all my life and let me tell you it doesn't get easier! The meanness becomes less about what cell phone you're using or college you're going to and turns into what kind of mother you are or what house you live in.
But I'd like to think that when my children start to go through this kind of thing that I can, not,only point them in the direction that Jesus would want me to point them in, but that I can show an honest and genuine example. That even know we want to throw our fists up at the first mean thing that's said to us, we need to take a different route.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."
-John 13:34
Jesus was pretty straight forward when He said this. He said we must love one another. He didn't say anything but loving each other except for this or except for that.
LOVE. Just love. Even when we don't want to. Even when someone picks on us or is mean. Treat others how WE want to be treated; with love, kindness and respect. This is not an easy. I struggle with my kindness toward others every time I'm driving on these SC roads! Lately, whenever I feel judgement start to creep into my heart when I'm around others, I really take just 2 seconds and think of a possible story they could have behind their actions that I am looking down upon. I remember the fact that we all have or are going through something. I remember that I fall short of Gods glory every single day yet He still showers me with love, kindness and respect. And if He can do that for me then I can do that for others. Nobody is above or below grace, nobody is above or below mercy and nobody is above or below love!
So while this saying may be overused and passed around a lot, I couldn't agree with it anymore now them I did when I was first being taught it. And I'm super thankful that I have a God who lives this verse out every single day in my life!
So spread some love today. If there is any negative fire in your day, smother it with kindness and love and always remember that YOU are loved :)
Need prayer or just some conversation? You know where to find me: gfmamaj@gmail.com.
MUCH love!! :)


So Eric and I had a fantastic weekend. Church was just fantastic and this series we are doing has my heart on fire! It had been a while since we really got to spend some family time together since he's been working 6 days a week for a while. Well this Saturday he finally had off, the weather was perfect and we took total advantage of the day! Makenna growing is bittersweet. I want her to stay small but golly this is such a fun age! Her personality is really starting to come out and we can do a lot more family outings :)
Makenna and Eric spent some time together Saturday morning while I went out and got grocery shopping done. Then the three of us took Makenna to the park. She then went to hang out with my parents while Eric and I had a day date!

Here's some pictures from our day:
Makennas first time playing at the park! I mean, seriously can she get any cuter?!

Eric finally had a chance to push Makenna in the swing for the first time! 

I love being her mommy! 

I adore these two so much. Watching my husband be a father to my child has been the most beautiful thing. I am so lucky and blessed to be married to such an amazing man. I love them both so much that my heart is close to bursting! 

Eric and I grabbed lunch downtown at a place called Cantina, which aha the worlds best tacos! We were craving something sweet after so we went to Cupcakes Down South. They have gluten free cupcakes every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. They are heavenly delicious :) 









No comments:

Post a Comment