Friday, April 17, 2015

#beyougoals

A few weeks ago, my sweet friend Morgan, (check her out over at Yellow Door Diaries) sent our small group an email with a link to a video made by Sadie Robertson. If haven't seen the video yet, you can watch it here.
In the video, Sadie talks about the latest hashtag trend that is all over social media.
For those who do not know what hashtag is or means (you'd be surprised!), dictionary.com defines it as:


noun

1.
(on social-networking websites) a word or phrasepreceded by a hash mark (#), used within amessage to identify a keyword or topic of interestand facilitate a search for it:

The latest trend has been all about commenting on the picture or status of somebody that posts about their life and hash-tagging "#___goals"
I've seen this range from "#thighgapgoals", "#beautygoals", "#friendshipgoals", or the most popular: "#relationshipgoals"

As Sadie says it's all about people comparing themselves to others and wanting to reach a goal to have what another person has or be like another person. She goes deep into what her own personal issues with jealousy and other flaws that she has. Sadie mentions how she wants to see a world filled with confidence and to have all of us strive to be the best "YOU" that we can be.

I couldn't agree with this video more. I give her SO much credit for putting herself out there to speak about what GOD laid on her heart. How she spoke to confidently about being content with what God gives YOU and not looking to others for that contentment. 
I know that this "goal" thing is a just a form of joking (maybe I just don't have a sense of humor?) around but is it really? 
Let's face it, we live in a world where jealously can rear it's ugly head into us at any moment. We've all looked on the other side of the fence and wondered what it would be like if we could have what that person has, or look like that person does.
I'm SO super guilty of this. I am no where near the size 2 I used to be. I struggled with (and come on, honestly, I still sometimes do) looking at other women who were in good shape and super skinny with such jealously. I couldn't just recognize how God made them beautiful, just like He did with me. I focused on how I didn't even come close to having a waist that tiny. Instead of looking at my body and realizing that I was blessed enough to house a tiny human for 9 months!
Another example? My marriage. I see husbands that shower their wives with flowers and jewelry and sometimes felt animosity toward my husband because I didn't get that from him. I forgot about what he DOES give me. How laughter, emotional support and physical love works so much better in our marriage then material things. It's always been that way and I couldn't be more happy.
Like mentioned in the video, this doesn't mean to not have goals! This doesn't mean that you can't look up to and admire other people! I love to model my marriage and how I parent my daughter after my parents. They are such an inspiring example of strength, love and patience to me. But while looking up to them is great, I keep in mind that we are all different people. Eric and I do what's best for ourselves and our family at the end of the day.
I hope this is all making sense :)

Sadie uses 1 Samuel 16:17 as a reference in the video:
 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but theLord looks at the heart.”
YES! This verse is SO beautiful! How nice would it be to look at others the way The Lord looks at us? To look at one another's heart instead of their looks? To stop comparing and start appreciating!! Appreciating what we have AND what others have. It's hard, I know, (this is why we are no where near how perfect Jesus is!) but we NEED to find contentment not in what this world will give us, but with what God gives us.
Why are we struggling so hard to be like everyone else when our Creator spent so much time crafting and putting us together?
I am not kidding when I say WE ARE ALL BEAUTIFUL!! 
Seriously! We all have something we are good at and can contribute to this world.
So what if you don't have a thigh gap?! (Join the club, haha!) So what if your neighbor is driving a Bentley and you're still driving your Honda Civic from high school?
So what if her eyebrows are thick and shaped to perfection and you can barely see the hairs on yours?
So what if your friends husbands buys her flowers and diamond earrings and yours takes you to Chic-Fil-A for a date? (Totally prefer Chic-Fil-A!!!)
There is contentment in JESUS! There is beauty found in JESUS! There is peace in JESUS! There is peace in knowing how much He loves and cares for us how we are, how we look and will always come to where we are RIGHT NOW! There is peace in knowing that He gives and promises us FAR more then anything this world can ever offer.

As Sadie said in the video, I, as well, know that God might not be a thing for some people but I want to challenge you as well to try something new. See what this Jesus guy is all about because I PROMISE He does not give disappointment like this world can give.
I think each one of you are so special and beautiful.
If there is anything you'd like to touch on that I haven't in this post, or just want to chat about, you know where to find me: gfmamaj@gmail.com
MUCH, MUCH LOVE!

P.S. Lets create some new hashtags eh?
#beyourselfgoals
#beorigionalgoals
#beyougoals
Lets start to use social media to inspire others and tell them they are great! Throw somebody a compliment and see how it can change their day!



















No comments:

Post a Comment