Tuesday, November 18, 2014

This one is for you, Kim K.

Hey there!
As much as I do not like to admit it, I used to watch Keeping up with the Kardashians. On a weekly, morning and nightly basis. I'd tune into their new episodes every Sunday night and read magazine articles about them.
It's not so much that I really "admired" them but was more fascinated by them. Fascinated with fame that really came from no where or the way they spoke to one another and just lived their lives. In a way, I was almost envious of their lifestyle. They had so much money and could literally buy whatever they wanted to and they seemed so happy doing so.
It wasn't until, maybe, two or three seasons ago that I started to get over the whole Kardashian craze and they honestly started to bug me. I decided to stop watching it and really felt good about that decision. I honestly didn't even hear much about the Kardashians anymore. Until last week.
I'm sure most, if not all, have heard about how Kim Kardashian has "broke the internet" with the spread she did for Paper magazine. The pictures of Kim are quite bare and by bare I mean wearing nothing at all.
The feedback has been negative. Some positive but mostly negative. Those that do support the Kardashians are lashing out to those who are negatively commenting on that spread, saying that "she's a woman and is embracing her sexuality." Or "she's free to do whatever she wants" and "you are all just jealous your body doesn't look like that."
OK STOP
When I first saw the pictures (right there on my news-feed, I couldn't scroll away fast enough!!!), I will admit that I, most definitely, judged. I looked down upon Kim and was almost angry at the thought of this being on my husbands news-feed and HIM having access to see this. But these past few days as I was thinking about the magazine spread and looking at comments from people all over the world with their thoughts on it, my shock and disgust disappeared. It really just makes me feel bad for her.
I can honestly say that it saddens me that a woman as beautiful as Kim Kardashian feels she needs to strip down to literally nothing in order to gain even more attention. It saddens me to imagine that all she thinks she is good for is her body. It saddens me to think that her daughter has to grow up in an environment where taking your clothes off for money and attention is ok. It saddens me to think that with all that fame and fortune and attention; are they really happy? Is this life really what they want?

And I want women to be modest in their appearance. They should wear decent and appropriate clothing and not draw attention to themselves by the way they fix their hair or by wearing gold or pearls or expensive clothes.
-1 Timothy 2:9

I'm not talking about wearing turtlenecks and long skirts here. I love to look good and attractive BUT for one person and one person ONLY: my husband. I do not dress in a way to attract the eyes of others, especially men. I have no problem dressing in a way that speaks class and still lets me feel great about myself because, YES, as women, we should have confidence. Confidence leads to happiness and I want that for every lady. But does that mean to strip down to your birthday suit to do that?
Look, Kim Kardashian did what she felt was a good move for her and her career. If her husband is ok with it then what else is there to say? I will pray for the Kardashian- West family. That they are and will raise that little girl to be humble, to love and to do the right thing-whatever that may be to them.
I may get some backlash for this and that is ok. But, I am the child of a God who wants me to respect my body and to me, that is not showing it much respect. I do not think a picture like that should be for the eyes of the world. 
However, to each their own. I will continue about my daily life and soon enough, that magazine spread will fade into a thing of that past. Even though I can't personally, I will show Kim K. compassion through good thoughts and prayer. I really tried hard to pick and choose my words in this post. I don't want to come across as being one of those "jealous" fans because trust me, my body may never look like that and that is perfectly fine with me.
As for my family, I would love to teach my daughter to seek the attention and approval of Jesus and not society. To represent herself (and still love) in a way that is appealing to Him. 
To anyone who disagrees and would like to discuss this further, I would love to! (gfmamaj@gamil.com)

MOVING ON:
It is almost Thanksgiving! I'm pretty sure I am finished with my Christmas shopping and now it is just a matter of putting it all together.
The Janson Family has so many exciting things on the calender. Besides the fact that we are celebrating Makenna's major first holidays (Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, New Years!), we also have some church Christmas parties to attend. 
 While still sick, I attended my first Worship Band practice yesterday! (EEEEP!) It was SO much fun. It was more then rewarding to be around other musicians again, especially those that just love Jesus! I am so excited to see where this leads because at Newspring and in God, the best is ALWAYS yet to come!
Well, that is all that's on mind (for now)! I hope you are all having a fabulous start to your week and are busy finalizing Thanksgiving plans. As always, I'm here to chat about anything that may be on your mind :)
Much love!

5 more things I am thankful for:
-My sweet husband playing nurse while I've been sick
-Decaff green tea
-Music
-My parents generosity
-Pintrest recipes


No comments:

Post a Comment