Thursday, October 30, 2014

Sticks and Stones

Whenever I receive a compliment it goes in one ear and out the other. But if I were to hear an insult or bad words spoken about me, it sticks to my heart like a leech and it pulls me down quickly.
I always had a way of beating to the sound of my own drum throughout school. I never liked what everyone else liked. I had maybe 3 or 4 pieces of Abercrombie and Hollister clothes and I was ok with that. I never had a fancy purse. I didn't date the cutest boy in my grade. And I'm really just weird! I had plenty of horrible things said behind my back and even to my face. Whether it be about my clothes or a part that I got in drama club. It always hurt and some days I would cry myself to sleep, feeling like such a loser. I never appreciated my differences back then and how special I was. How special we ALL are. I just wanted to fit in. I wanted to be popular and accepted by those that I put on such a high pedestal.
I couldn't wait to graduate. To get away from my peers that I spent, basically, 12 years with. Get away from those whose opinion should have held no value in my life, meet new people and start fresh. I was naive and felt like as soon as I went to college and stepped out into the real world, those problems would go away.
But they didn't. Of course they didn't. In fact, it seems like the older we get, the worse those problems become. Except instead of picking on someones bike or backpack or shoes, it's bigger things like where you live, what you drive, what kind of mother, wife or Christian you are.
I keep asking myself when am I finally going to let the sharp and hurtful opinions of others just roll of my back?
When are YOU?
God created us all different for a reason. We all have our different talents and a purpose in this world. I feel like if we were to all focus on the gifts and blessings He gives us instead of constantly worrying about others, the gossiping and judgement could stop. The bullying could stop.
Hurt people, hurt people. I heard this from my Pastor at church and it couldn't be more true.
Honestly, it shouldn't matter who's gay and who's straight. Who's wearing Abercrombie and who's wearing a thrift store special. Who's black and who's white. Who lives in a two story house and who lives in a 5th wheel. Who's a Christian and who's Jewish. We are all made different for a reason! We all have something to bring to the table!
I hope to teach my children the importance of building others up with our words instead of tearing each other down. That when you feel hurtful toward someone else, to pray and/or think before you speak. One bad opinion that we may speak aloud to another's face or even behind their back, could change the way they look at themselves in such a negative way.
Ephesians 4:29 says this:
"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."
Be kind to someone today. Instead of glancing at another woman's outfit in a scornful way, how about you throw her a compliment that she looks nice or that you like her purse.
Let's teach the generations coming up the way this human race needs to start treating each other, so that maybe we can start to help control the madness that is going on in the world.
I've been guilty of caving into gossip. Of saying mean things about other people, to others, behind their back. But it's time to start setting an example. For all of us to set one.
And if you're the victim of any harsh words today, or any day, just smile; knowing that no matter what anyone may think or say that you are AWESOME!
As always, feel free to send an email with anything that may be on your mind. And if you haven't already, check out GFMama's new Facebook page. Thanks for reading y'all and have an amazing day. It's almost the weekend!!
Much love!

P.S. I went to my first trunk or treat last night with Makenna! (Daddy is away for work) I was a Pink Lady and Makenna was a little skeleton :) I had a blast. Having a child makes me feel like one again, in a way, and I'm excited of getting to experience firsts for both of us!!



No comments:

Post a Comment